Yes, it can be very tempting to reach for the merlot at the end of a particularly taxing day at the office, but studies show that alcohol is one of the main offenders when it comes to storing belly fat. Consider this: if you consume just two glasses of wine an evening, that’s an extra 72,000 calories a year, which equates to 20 pounds of fat.
If you like what I have to say, sign up for my free newsletter and every week I’ll send you awesome, science-based health and fitness tips, delicious “diet-friendly” recipes, motivational musings, and more.
4. Lie on the floor, face down, and support your upper body on your elbows, forearms, and hands. Slowly lift the rest of your body off the floor until you’re on your toes. Keeping your body straight, hold for as long as is comfortable, then slowly lower and relax. Repeat as many times as possible until fatigued.
Add strength training to your exercise regimen three times a week. Strength training builds muscles, which assist in fat loss. More metabolically active than fat, muscle raises the resting metabolism to increase calories burned. Increased caloric burn equates to weight loss. Furthermore, toned muscles change the shape of your body and improve your posture, making your belly appear flatter. Focus on completing eight to 10 exercises per strength session that target the abdominals, back, butt, chest, shoulders, arms and legs.
8. Celery – Celery is a negative calorie food containing only eight calories. It is high in vitamin C, calcium and is best enjoyed raw. Enjoying fresh celery juice before a meal can even help you lose weight. It contains apigenin, an active compound that slashes the risk of ovarian cancer.
That’s why I decided to create the products I myself have always wanted: science-based formulations, clinically effective dosages of all ingredients, no fillers or unnecessary junk, and natural sweetening and flavoring.
Fermented foods like miso, tempeh, and sauerkraut contain probiotics, a.k.a. friendly bacteria that help boost immunity, regulate gut function, and banish bloat. Unsweetened plain Greek yogurt and skyr can provide probiotic benefits too. Choose ones that have five strains or more of bacterial cultures per 6-ounce serving.
According to recent studies, instead of working out for hours or running a few miles, doing short bursts of active exercises is very helpful in reducing stubborn fat. For example, if you are walking on a treadmill, randomly increase the speed for a few seconds and get back to walking.
2. Sweep: Start with basic abs tuck (standing crunch). For that you have to lift one knee using the abs, and bend the other knee to sit slightly on the ground. Bring the rib cage to the bellybutton so that the spine is in C-curve position. Simultaneously, squeeze the oblique on one side to crunch while reaching down for the opposite foot.
How to Get Rid of Loose Skin After Weight Loss The Ultimate Shoulder Workout: The Best Shoulder Exercises for Big Delts The Ultimate Chest Workout: Chest Exercises for Awesome Pecs The Ultimate Arms Workout: The Best Arm Exercises for Big Guns How to Build Muscle and Lose Fat…at the Same Time The Ultimate Back Workout: The Best Back Exercises for a Thick, Wide Back
Add in low-fat dairy in the form of yogurt. Yogurt helps lower cortisol levels with calcium. Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt, and 1 serving per day, as part of a balanced diet, can help you burn off belly fat faster.
Do cardio for at least 30 minutes. You usually burn carbohydrates until you hit the 20-minute mark and start to reduce your fat stores. For bigger weight loss, extend your high-intensity training to 45 minutes 5 times per week over the next 2 weeks.
5. Seafood – Seafood, when included in the diet, could result in a slimmer waist and better health. For those enjoying excellent health and ideal body weight, having seafood on a regular basis may even prevent possible future poor health and weight gain. Studies have shown that seafood has been found to contain monounsaturated fat (MUFA). Studies have also shown that having a regular diet with foods containing MUFA can prevent belly fat.
Needless to say, not getting enough rest leaves you feeling exhausted and hinders physical performance. What you may not realize is that nervous function, hormone production, and metabolism are also crippled due to lack of quality sleep. If your nervous system can’t function at full capacity, you’re far more likely to work slower, stress more, exercise less, and eat things that you shouldn’t because you’re in a hurry. Furthermore, inadequate rest can impair the production of key hormones responsible for the metabolism of fat cells.
Staying hydrated is crucial to the fat-burning process. body needs water to break down fat cells and wash away the toxins that are released during this process. Use this online calculator to see how much water your body needs in order to stay hydrated and burn belly fat.
1. Lie on the floor with an exercise ball (about 53 inches around) resting under your right heel. Bending your right knee, roll the ball as close to your buttocks as is comfortable while keeping your lower back on the floor. Hold 5 seconds. Return to the starting position and repeat for a total of 10 repetitions. Repeat on the left side.
Maybe. The Mediterranean diet, on which the Flat Belly Diet is loosely modeled, seems to promote weight loss or a lower likelihood of being overweight or obese, but even if those benefits hold up, whether the same can be said of the Flat Belly Diet is unproven. Expand this section to see research on diets similar to the Flat Belly Diet.
For test panelist June Caron, incorporating fresh produce like avocados was a life-changing lesson from Zero Belly Diet. The 55-year-old lost 6 pounds in the first week on the program. “Learning to eat real, chemical-free, fresh foods has been the best thing that ever happened to me. I am never hungry. And the weight just keeps coming off!” Glowing skin, healthy nails, and better sleep were Zero Belly bonuses, June said. “I’m well on my way to getting my sexy back. Everyone says I look much younger!”
Let’s face it. Having belly fat or abdominal fat is not something that can be ignored. You can’t hide it, it’s undoubtedly embarrassing, clothes don’t fit and self-esteem is at an all time low. Not only that, it’s downright dangerous.
Not all white foods are bad for weight-loss. In fact, plain boiled potatoes are the most filling food there is, according to the Satiety Index of Common Foods, an Australian study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. To maximize their flat-belly benefits, throw ’em in the refrigerator and make a potato salad. The cooling process will crystallize the tubers into resistant starch, which takes longer to break down in your intestine, producing fat-burning butyrate and delaying hunger pangs.
Don’t pass up on this cheap trick. “One of the most under-appreciated magic fat-burning elixirs is water,” says Ajia Cherry, personal trainer and Founder at Functional Innovative Training. “The more water you drink, the fuller you will feel, the easier it is to cut back on unnecessary calories. That’s an essential element of weight and fat loss,” she explains. Water is necessary to keep your metabolism functioning optimally. For even more of a kick, add a lemon to your glass. D-limonene, an antioxidant in lemon peel, helps flush toxins from the body and gives sluggish bowels a kick, flushing fat from your system to keep your tummy toned and tight—perfect for getting you bikini-ready.
Bembu is my passion and outlet for sharing fact based nutrition, dieting, and fitness advice as well as healthy, yummy recipes. While it’s my passion, it’s also my profession. I’m a Nutritional Therapist and Yoga Alliance Certified Yoga instructor (200YTT) with a background in journalism. I’m also lucky to collaborate with several other professional health writers that you can meet on our About page.